Accuplacer and ACT scores provide valuable information to students and their Student Achievement Specialists to make sure students are enrolled in programs and courses that support their academic success. Students who are placed correctly are much more likely to be successful in college.
Students who have taken the Accuplacer or the ACT within the past three years simply provide their score reports when submitting their admission documents. The requirement for transfer and returning students is determined on an individual basis.
If a student has never taken the Accuplacer or the ACT or the score is more than three years old, the Accuplacer test is required for admission. Students may also need Accuplacer scores if their ACT scores are below a certain level. We urge students to prepare for the Accuplacer so students and their Student Achievement Specialists have the best information possible to make decisions.
Preparing for the Placement Test
The Accuplacer is not a 'pass' or 'fail' test. Instead, scores determine the starting point or educational pathway at CMN as well as math and English coursework. CMN encourages students to prepare for the test. Here’s what students can do:
- Take the Accuplacer practice test to get a sense of current skill levels. CMN uses the following tests:
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Skills
- Elementary Algebra
- College Level Math
- Brush up on your skills, especially if away from the classroom for a while. Help is available at both the Keshena and Green Bay/Oneida campuses. Students can study on campus, take materials home, or learn about online resources. See Placement Test Locations below for contact information.
- Allow enough time for the testing appointment! Students can plan on about two hours to complete the Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Mathematics tests.
Free Accuplacer Study App
Placement Test Locations
Schedule the test today or talk with staff about the many resources available to you.
- Call 715-799-6226, ext. 5500 or toll free 800-567-2344, ext. 5500
Green Bay/Oneida Campus:
- Call 920-965-0070 or toll free 800-567-2344, ext. 4000
Placement Test Results – Pathways to Success
Your Accuplacer or ACT scores indicate the appropriate starting point or pathway. The College has established three pathways based on Accuplacer or ACT scores:
- Entry into Associate Degree or Technical Diploma programs with no additional requirements.
- Entry into Associate Degree Foundations courses or Technical Diploma programs. Foundations courses in English and/or Math allow students to improve their skills and build confidence in preparation for more difficult courses while earning college credit. In addition to class time, students are required to participate in instructor-led discussion sections for both Introduction to College English Foundations (ENG100) and College Algebra Foundations (MAT104).
- Entry into the Supporting Opportunities and Academic Readiness (or SOAR) program. SOAR combines basic skills instruction in math, reading, and writing with certain technical diploma course work. Following completion of a Technical Diploma program, students must re-test and obtain appropriate Accuplacer scores to pursue either Associate Degree pathway.
If minimum Accuplacer scores are not met for the desired pathway, discuss options, including additional assessment and re-testing options, with either the placement testing staff or a Student Achievement Specialist.
Degree seeking students are exempt from placement testing under the following circumstances:
- Completed both College Algebra or College Algebra Foundations and Introduction to College English or Introduction to College English Foundations with a “C” or above from one of CMN’s Technical Diploma programs, or
- Completed both college-level Algebra and college-level introductory English with a “C” or above at an accredited college or university, or
- Obtained an Associate Degree or above, or
- Submitted Accuplacer test scores obtained at another accredited higher education institution; test scores are valid for three years.
Students who have earned a CMN Certificate of Mastery or a Technical Diploma are treated as a continuing student if the student registers for classes within one year of graduation. If the student has not registered for classes within one year, then the student will need to follow the Returning Student Admission Procedure, including placement testing if scores are more than three years old.
Accuplacer Fee Information
Individuals not interested in applying for admission and only wish to test will be charged a $20 nonrefundable fee. To obtain Accuplacer scores:
- Make an appointment for the test at one of locations listed above;
- Complete the Release of Accuplacer Scores form.
- Pay the $20 nonrefundable fee to the Finance Office. The Bursar's Office will provide the Accuplacer score report by postal mail or e-mail.
If you have any questions, contact the Admissions Office.